AR, extended in Augmented Reality, is a new trend in the digital world that enables the users to interact or live the physical world experience while sitting in one place or at their home would approach convenience more. That means you can be anywhere in the world at any time or get a physical view of any specific area of the world.
Isn't it great?
Let us discuss how AR is made possible.
Technologies Behind AR(Augmented Reality)
AR is made possible due to the rise of some dominant sectors of the technological world, which are voice, visual, and stimuli transfer digitally and data collection and transfer rate. Due to this, with AR, people are able to get an enhanced insight into the physical world virtually.
Let's have a brief over some of the technologies in AR-
Intelligent interaction technology- As the name suggests, this technology helps the user interact with the relative environment in which he is digitally present. This technology is derived from cognitive psychology, ergonomics, and the other two technologies we are going to discuss as our following two points.
The intelligent interaction in the AR system is of different forms and is achieved with the help of other devices and technologies. The various forms of interaction are location interactions, hardware device interactions, information-based interactions, or tag-based interactions.
Augmented reality collects the virtual information just like A.I.(Artificial Intelligence) and performs it in the form of natural scenes and also depicts the accurate interaction between the virtual objects and real people and converts it into real scenes. This is all possible because of the development of interaction-based intelligent technology. This interaction is achieved by gathering the people's actions which are inferred as effective instructions provided to the virtual objects used in the scene, and then these objects analyze the instructions to transform them into some feedback which enables the audience present in the scene to have a better experience of using the augmented reality application.
Intelligent display technology- According to some relevant data, it is concluded that more than 65% of the data generated by human beings is part of their vision, which has raised as the most confident way to have interaction in the real environment. Due to the development in intelligent display technology, the possibility of augmented reality comes into effect. The diversity in display devices built based on intelligent display technology gives this possibility new heights.
There are primarily three main categories for these display devices that have a significant place in the sector of Augmented Reality today-
- HMD(Helmet Display)- Professor Ivan Sutherland first built this device in the year of 1968. HMD is capable of transforming the simple graphics generated by computers in real-time into real scenes. In a further development, the optical perspective helmet-mounted display and the video perspective helmet-mounted display emerged as the backbone of HMD.
- HDD(Handheld Device Display)- By the effect of AR technology on a handheld display, HDD has been made very small and lightweight. Also, these factors support the popularity of smartphones with the video perspective so that augmented reality could be used in today's era.
- Other Display Devices- For example, Personal Computer and Tablet's monitor or display impose the real-world scene according to the information captured by the camera, which is evaluated in 3D virtual structure through the computer and finally displayed on the screen.
3D registration technology- 3D(three-dimensional) registration technology is considered one of the most powerful technologies in the world of Augmented Reality since it ensures the accuracy of the imposition of the virtual image into the real environment. This technology has further two steps-
- The first one is to determine the information about the position, direction, and the model of the camera and the display device and its relationship with the virtual image.
- The second is to make sure that the virtually rendered image and the model are being projected exactly the same in the real environment. In this way, the model and the virtual image are merged and shown cumulatively in the real scene.
There are specific ways of three-dimensional registration, like registration technology which is based on the hardware tracker, the wireless network, the computer vision, and the mixed registration technology. The most popular ones among these are 3D technology based on the hardware tracker and based on computer vision.
Areas of Use Of Augmented Reality
The possibility of applying the emerging AR technology is vast and valuable in many fields, which include archeology, commerce, art, tourism, education, entertainment and leisure, emergency management, and medical treatment.
Let's have an elaborated version of the use of AR in some of the fields mentioned above-
- The application of AR technology in the tourism industry can be pretty beneficial as it can attract a good number of tourists to historical sites and different sections of the world at minimal prices by the use of screen software, phone cameras, and other technologies to merge the real-world scenes. This is also helpful in acquiring information while being in one place.
- In technological field, it can be used in custom software development as one can virtually interact with the audience or the team and hold meetings on the same day for different places.
- In archeological studies, AR technology can help archeologists to zoom in on the details of real landscapes and pin their locations more precisely.
- The use of AR technology can be done in the civil sector since one can guide the workers in a profound manner by drawing 3D designs and reminding them of the time.
- With the use of AR technology in supermarkets and stores, one can easily show the customers the actual product virtually without opening the product's packaging. Also, by enabling the scanning of the product picture, you can offer custom options to the customers and get other information about the product as well.
- In the entertainment sector, you can set up an environment where you can sell digital passes for concerts and shows online. This could extend your audience range worldwide and at a tremendous rate.
The range of possibilities through this remarkable technology of AR is extraordinary and valuable in various sectors. It makes things more portable and handy. The area of use use of AR technology has seen considerable growth lately.