Web application development means the development of web applications or software. And a web application is one that runs over the internet on the web instead of being locally operated in the operating system of software. Making these applications or software is what we call web application development which is performed by a web application development company.
· What is Web Application?
· What is web application development?
· Use of web application
· Is it beneficial to make web applications?
· How to make web applications?
· Web application tools.
· Future of web application development.
· Web app development as a career?
What is a web application?
An application, or application program, or application software is computer software that runs a specific task for the end-user or some other applications. It is a set of written programs that help execute a specific task and help us maintain tasks.
Now, an application can be of two types: -
1. A local-based application
2. A web application.
A local-based application is one that is entirely installed on a computer. A local-based application uses computer space and resources for its purpose and executing the tasks. It is installed directly into an operating system and then, executed on the OS only. The software makes it records and databases locally on the computer at its path or nowadays, they can make cloud-based databases but still, the programs run on computer hardware.
A web application is one that is entirely situated on a web server and uses the internet for its execution of tasks. Its working requires the use of the internet. A dynamic website that executes tasks of software can be called a web application. For developing a website that is well-relevant to your business niche you need to hire a web application development company.
Ex. An online notes taker works the same as a local-based note-taking software, but a single difference is that one is situated at the computer's local drive whereas the other is situated at a cloud drive.
How do these web applications work?
Web applications are coded simply using browser-oriented languages. These languages are HTML, CSS, and Js.
HTML, HyperText Markup Language, structures the page and gives it a skeleton to work.
CSS, Cascading Style Sheets, gives a user interface to the web application. It makes the application look pretty handy and cool.
And there are two types of web applications: - static web or server-oriented web.
A static web app is a simple one-page static site with all the content in one place and nothing to do with storage and client request processing at external servers.
Whereas, Server-oriented web apps, are dynamic web apps in which client responses are made executable with the other servers, and processing is required for client requests.
Both web apps follow a workflow which is: -
(Note: - static web apps require no server-outreaching.)
1. A client triggers a request which is taken to the web server over the internet.
2. Then the server forwards the request to the app server.
3. The app executes the requests and then forwards them back to the webserver.
4. Then, outputs are redirected to the client.
This way a web app executes the command.
A basic example of a web application
An online jpg to png converter: - you have a jpg image but you want to convert it into a png image. So you go, upload your file (*triggers a request), then your file is taken to web server then to the application server and your file is converted into a png image (*executes the command of conversion from jpg to png). And then you are returned the converted png image as output (*redirected to you) for download.
Similar examples are: - online spreadsheets, word editor, online video editor, etc.
Use of web applications development in present days
Here are some major web apps which are completely overclouded.
5. Twitter Lite
7. Jumia Travel
9. Pure Formulas
19. George at asda
21. Financial times
25. Travel and co.
Benefits of hiring a web application development company for your business
1. No compatibility issues: - a web application can run on any device instead of facing any problem due to OS, hardware or etc, if you have a good internet connection and browser compatibility then, the web app can run easily.
2. No version compatibility issues: - every user accesses the same version of a web app regardless of hardware issues.
3. No drive space problems: - you need not care about installing the applications on your drive, so no space requirement problems.
4. No SaaS problems: - They reduce software piracy in subscription-based web applications (i.e., SaaS).
5. Reduced costs for business: - no increased costs for a business to maintain or buy some software. Most the web apps are cost-free and moreover, if you have custom software, then a web app is better as it is easy to maintain, update and keep web apps aloof.
6. Reduced costs for end-users: - no need to buy software and buy internet data for downloading the software.
7. Can be accessed anywhere: - you cannot take your pc or laptop everywhere you want, but since a web application can be opened anywhere on any device regardless of the hardware.
8. Cloud-based: - web apps are cloud-based completely, so need to have storage.
9. Secure: - a web app can be end to end encrypted since it's based on a server instead of a local storage device. And so, it is much more secure.
Difference between web apps and native apps.
How to make web applications?
1. Ideate your app: - source an idea. Get yourself a very good idea of your app, and what it would be about, and decide your niche. Then do market research to check out the success of your app, then think of how it would function when built. Visualize your application completely, and then set out for resources.
2. Design your app: - Now, set out to design your app. Decide what all content would be there in your app, and then check out services, buttons, functions, switches, etc. and then, make a sketch of the final UI. You can use COTS software like adobe design, illustrator draw, vector, etc to design your website. Plan your workflow, and make the working of the app.
3. Develop the app: - get started with the coding required and set out for its functioning.
4. Deploy your app: - check your app for its functionality and then, launch your app on a server with hosting.
Web applications development tools
Web dev tools help you in making your site look good and debug your code for any errors. Just like custom software development tools, web dev environments help in making your app faster and more effective. You can read more about custom software development here. For now, let’s focus on some web development tools.
1. Use any text editor: - a text editor helps you to code faster and better with fewer errors.
2. Use extensions of languages and snippets.
Some best languages extensions and text editor and other dev tools are as follows: -
· Chrome DevTools
· Visual Studio Code
· Sublime Text
Future of web applications development
Web apps have taken the market. They have overtaken the rest of the fields in the programming industry. Today, there are more than a billion sites with over 200 million active sites. The web app has revolutionized the way systems are oriented. They have brought solutions to many problems.
We are currently in an age of rapid transformations, and web apps are overtaking local-based software.
Even today, games have been made available over the internet and you can play them even without your hardware requirements, and install them over your computer devices.
Web apps would have a great career ahead.
Web app development as a career
Web apps have got enough potential to track money. It can be a good career. It yields enough money, and you can take part in web app development as an engineer, software developer, back-end developer, management holder, etc. it can yield you up to thousands of dollars easily if you have got the right skills.